Tuesday, July 30, 2013

I'm the Big Brother



This is my little man....my best buddy.....my goldfish cracker eating, block-building, book-reading, remote sneaking, sweetest ally. We spend a lot of time together and, truth be told, he makes my world go round. 

None of that will change on a Wednesday in late August, but it will shift dramatically. Because this engaging little guy is about to become a BIG BROTHER to a baby sister. And no amount of preparation can possibly suffice to ready him for how the orbit of his personal planet is about to shift.


This is my little girl. Thirty years ago, my parents, affectionately known as Tom and Mae, strolled into Northside Hospital, holding her by the hands between them. I still have the picture in my mind: I am standing by the nursery window where my newborn is sleeping peacefully in her bassinet. I look down the long hallway and see them heading my way - Tom and Mae with a little girl walking toward me like a big girl. Tears punctured through as I realized how grown up our baby was and that our sweet time together would be forever altered. The pure emotion of that moment remains all these many years later.

This time it will be my little man walking between my husband and me, history repeated. I have every reason to believe my daughter will experience the same life-shifting moment that I did at the sight of her baby visiting his new little sister for the first time. I am both joyful and misty that our baby boy's world is about to be profoundly rocked. There is great anticipation around the birth of this little baby girl, along with the apprehension that any change brings. 

So - turning two, becoming a big brother and starting pre-school are just a few of the adjustments that will have to be made in one small boy's life. I think he's ready for the challenge. He is surrounded by all the love that one little fellow could possibly have - a love that will transcend all the difficult and challenging moments of this most natural and momentous event in the life of one beautiful little family. 




No comments: